This project was an experimentation in texture and form, testing out a new character concept. During the brainstorming and sketching phase I took a lot of inspiration from a photograph I had of the Star Wars character Jabba the Hutt. Much of the wrinkling around the brow and eye bags, as well as the shape of the nose are directly influenced by that design.
I sculpted the design using Chavant NSP med. Once complete, I molded the piece using Ultracal 30 and ran the piece out of tinted gelatin. I was very pleased with the edges I got.
The character was a two part appliance (the chin was cut as a separate piece). It was adhered with Prosaide Adhesive and painted with a Skin Illustrator alcohol activated color palette. As you can see from the pictures on the bottom left, both pieces moved very naturally with my own facial expressions.