Friday, November 9, 2012

Bug Man, the space traveler.

Earlier this week I started sculpting a new concept for a mask.  The original idea was to create a giant insect mask that resembled an ant, fly or a bee.  However, as my sculpture began taking form, the piece looked more and more like an alien bug from outer space. Here are some W.I.P. photos of the new concept I'm exploring.

This is the original sketch.  It's very rough.


 This is the progress so far.  There are some obvious symmetry issues that will be fixed, and there's texture that will be added later on after I've reached a satisfactory place in the sculpture's overall shape.  In addition, I will be sculpting a set of antennae and pincers that will be molded and cast separately as individual pieces.


Here are a couple of profile photos.  Bug Man has a protective hood and neck piece shielding him from the dangers of space travel.  When the time comes to paint the mask after molding and casting this piece, it will be much easier to differentiate the protective coverings from the actual bug. 



More to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment